Saturday, July 26, 2008

Accord-ing to Hoyle

Our family enjoys playing card games. I grew up playing Euchre and my wife taught me to play Pinnochle. Many card games follow the strategies developed by Edmond Hoyle. When you're unsure of what to do next, knowing what Hoyle would do is a great backup.

Well, this morning I wasn't playing cards, but working on a Honda Accord for a friend. We were trying to locate the fuel pump relay. After 40 minutes of searching, removing various parts and praying, we gave up. Sure could have used "car repair according to Hoyle"!  

Next we found the solution to a weak windshield washer sprayer, and then moved on to a slow moving power window.  In spraying the window track w/ WD-40, the motor suddenly stopped working... before the window was all the way up (I thought that stuff was supposed to lubricate and make things work more smoothly, not stop all together). 

Again, Hoyle would have been a great resource.


After a few moments of pondering & pricing, we decided to remove the door panel and replace the motor.


At the time of this writing, I'm waiting for a window motor to arrive at the auto parts store. Lord willing, I'll get this installed and the door put back together without any further issues.


It's times like these when I have to remember that the Lord IS Sovereign and that He allows all events into my life. In doing so, I need to see how I respond, compare my response to how Jesus would respond, then pray for His Spirit to conform me into the image of God's Son. (Romans 8:29)

Sactification is an on-going process. I'm still learning to take what the Lord brings my way, pray for wisdom and humbly follow Him. Following Christ is not as simple as following Hoyle, but it is much more profitable.

No comments: